Tuesday

Sertified Interview: SXSW 2010



Austin local Big JD aka Sertified is ready to show the crowds of SXSW what the Central Texas rap scene is all about. He performed his first rap at five and now is the founder of the local label Die Slo Entertainment. Spinner recently sat down with him to discuss 'good music', the importance of Austin, and his plans for his SXSW debut.

When did you first start making music?

My mom wrote my first rap for me when I was five years old. So that was my first experience rapping. I started taking it seriously and as a career over the past three years.

What made these past few years stand out?

Going and getting on stage, you know. Its undeniable, everyone is just feeling it. I've never had any haters people know I am a real cool cat. I was always a party man and everyone knew me. So when I came in I was just undeniable I was a beast on the mic and kept it solid.


How did you come up with the name Sertified?

Everyone knows me as Big JD [that's] going to be forever it's my initials after all. I had to come up with something clever and you know to show that I was real and official. So it's like the only way to get that is to be certified, you know it aint official until I certify it.


Who are your musical influences?


I have a lot; I like West Coast and East Coast. Love the Dirty South, but really its anything that is good music. Where there is live music I could draw inspiration just seeing a band play. Yeah all types of good music.

What is your favorite genre outside of hip-hop?

I listen to a lot of hip-hop, but lately I've been getting on alternative music. Trying to sample Kings of Leon so [I have] been listening to them. I just keep trying to draw inspiration from all types of music. I like to see rock bands, jazz bands, anything as long as it's good.

Do you prefer the live atmosphere or sitting at home in front of your stereo?

I would do either. I could sit back smoke a bleezy and put on headphones and float away. I also really like seeing guys go off on the drums.

How would you describe your sound?

It's an original and refreshing sound. I can honestly say I am the only person who is my size that can get up on stage and spit like I spit. Not trying to sound cocky but its just true. I have that level of confidence.

How did you decide to create Die Slo Entertainment?

We had been doing our thing, each group solo. We all knew each other for a long time and I recognized where we were all moving. We just decided to come together and it's a lot easier to be heard when ten people are shouting your name instead of just one. It was just for fun at first, but now its serious.

Now you touched on something that is unique to Rap. It is very much sorted geographically from West to East to South. What is it about the local scene in Austin that sets it apart?

I think that is just that, the Austin scene. You don't see any other scene like this. You can go to Houston or Corpus Christi but you don't see anything as strong as Austin. Here every artist is talented.

Is this going to be your first SXSW?

Yeah this is our first time. We just go our promotion gear ready; we got a big showcase at Victory this year.

Any big plans for your showcase?

Yeah we going have my uncle who is a guitarist for some great local rock and thrash metal, he's very versatile. So yeah he's going to be alongside our sets.

What's going to be in your festival survival kit?

Shit, I'd have to say Arizona green tea and a big bag of Austin's finest. I mean that's just the Austin experience; everyone coming here gotta take part in it. Its just real laid back here I mean there are a lot of hipsters but also a lot of laid back like-minded people.

Finally, when can we expect a new album?

It will be available the night of the showcase, Saturday March 20, "I'm All About a Dollar." We are going to have matching t-shirts, so yeah starting that night. Anyone not there who wants to get some just hit me up on my phone or Myspace and we'll get it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment